Monday, September 15, 2008

Unrelated bits and pieces

When it rains, it kind of vaporizes the sewer water so that you cannot escape from the smell. Since it rains everyday, we smell poop all the time. Makes mealtime more enjoyable.
I actually have my own washing machine here. As soon as I turn it on it plays Here Comes the Bride all the way through, and again at the end of the cycle. The only thing I can say about that is that it wastes time, but makes me start laughing every time I do laundry!
We eat at a little restaurant just down the street from us quite a bit. It's super cheap and the fried rice is amazing. They try to get us to eat new things, and tonight the girl walked by me and shoved a plate of some little steaming fishes under my nose. RIGHT under my nose. I turned away and had to work really hard not to throw up. I'm still trying to forget the smell.
Our mattress is harder than hard, but I can't even stay awake to read at night. Soon as I pull the sheets up I'm out for the night:)
Someone is cooking next door right now and it's way worse than the sewer vapor.
The potato chip flavors here are interesting. Sushi, fresh seafood, stuff like that. And there's a little Dunkin' Donuts shop in the Tesco (where we get groceries) and they have green tea donuts. Why would you even do that to a helpless donut? And then eat it while drinking instant coffee?
These are just a few of the interesting things I've noticed here in Mae Sot.

3 comments:

Anne said...

I love how undesirable food is playing such a big role in your time over here!

And as an aside, last year I had bought a bag of chips that was green... that means they're sour cream and onions, right?

WRONG!!! It was seaweed... yuck! What a disappointment!

We're looking forward to seeing ya guys:o).

Karen said...

Green tea donuts and instant coffee???? I will SO pray harder for you!

Ias said...

I so love it that you are having these Thai moments. You will look back on these days as some of the good ones. Maybe not today, but eventually.